Social VR platform AltspaceVR today announced the general release of their Gear VR app—now making their software cross-compatible with both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
Not too long ago, AltspaceVR only allowed users into their social platform for special ‘beta weekends’ where anyone could mingle, browse webpages or watch videos on the space’s shared screens. After officially opening to the public back in mid-2015, the platform released a flurry of feature updates including their software development kit (SDK) – designed to help developers create mini applications within the space, alpha support for Gear VR, and preliminary support for HTC Vive Innovator Edition.
Now cross-compatible with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Samsung Gear VR, AltspaceVR emphasizes multi-platform user exploration with its virtual environments where you can play multi-player games, attend special events, share webpages, and watch streaming video services such as YouTube, Twitch, and Periscope.
“Our focus at AltspaceVR is creating the most natural and fulfilling communication experience possible online, and we’re thrilled to bring it to Gear VR,” said AltspaceVR Founder & CEO Eric Romo. “AltspaceVR on Gear VR brings nearly all the features of our PC experience, but with the ease of use of mobile.”
AltspaceVR is billing their support for Gear VR—a hardware platform that has less computing power and less connection capabilities—as a “full-featured AltspaceVR experience that is mobile, simple, and low cost.” Just what Gear VR users will be missing out on, we can’t say for certain.
AltspaceVR is inaugurating the Gear VR grand opening with a whole day of merriment, including live performances, trivia games, shared video viewing, and much much more. The event kicks off today at 10:00 AM PT (click for local time), so make sure to check out the schedule below for specific times and activities.
AltspaceVR is currently supporting Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, and Note 5.
Don’t have a headset? You don’t need one to join in the fun, as AltspaceVR supports traditional monitors, and – surprise, surprise – is also currently on tour in North American cities.
AltspaceVR’s Grand Opening Events
- 10:00 AM Welcome Space Fun
- 11:00 AM Sketchy Quiz 30 minute version – gaming, live event (SQ is AltspaceVR’s take on interactive bar trivia)
- 12:00 Open Mic with Love – live event (20-30 minutes)
- 1:00 Game Time! (Feature our apps in the skyrise, and rotate games)
- 1:30-2:30 PM Sketchy Quiz with Eric Romo – Live event, gaming
- 3:00 PM Game Time!
- 4:30 PM Movie Streaming (will also be happening all day)
- 5:00 PM Buzzfeed Hour
- 6:00 PM 15 -20 minute set with Sophia (Deep Rifters’ Daughter)
- 7:00 PM Critical Role Streaming Party
- 8:00 PM Sketchy Quiz – Late evening edition with Debby Round 1
- 8:30 PM Sketchy Quiz – Late evening edition with Debby Round 2
The schedule is shown in Pacific Time. Click here to see when the first event kicks-off.