Lenovo today unveiled the first standalone VR headset in Google’s Daydream mobile VR ecosystem, the Mirage Solo. Revealed today at CES, the headset integrates Google’s WorldSense six degrees of freedom (6DoF) positional tracking alongside the headset’s 3DoF controller.
First teased back at Google I/O, Lenovo’s then unnamed headset was set to arrive with a similar 6DoF headset from HTC, however HTC recently scrapped plans to bring their headset to the West with Daydream support, instead releasing in China with a mobile version of the Viveport content store. Lenovo’s headset is the first and currently only standalone headset currently in the Daydream app ecosystem.
Clay Bavor, Vice President of Virtual and Augmented Reality at Google, says Lenovo’s headset marks an important shift for the Daydream platform, giving the user a “more immersive and streamlined way to experience the best of what Daydream has to offer without needing a smartphone.”
There’s no definitive release date yet, but the headset is expected to hit shelves in Q2 2018. As for pricing, Lenovo says they’re working on reducing the price “so that it’s accessible to more people.” The company says the Mirage Solo will be priced “under $400.” While not explicitly stated, we’re reading between the lines here when we say it’ll likely have a $399.99 price tag, but that remains to be seen.
Mirage Solo is said to give users access to the entire Daydream catalog of over 250 apps and games, including Google apps like YouTube VR, Street View, Photos, and Expeditions. Notably, Google says a game designed for Lenovo Mirage Solo’s 6DoF capabilities based on Blade Runner 2049 (2017) called Blade Runner: Revelations will come to the headset as well. “We’re working closely with developers to bring new experiences to the platform that take advantage of all these new technologies,” the company says.
Lenovo Mirage Specs
- Dimensions (W x L x H) (mm) : 204.01 x 269.5 x 179.86 (inches) : 8.03″ x 10.61″ x 7.08
- Weight: 645 g (1.42 lbs)
- Color: Moonlight White
- Operating System: Daydream OS
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 835
- Audio: Android N Pro Audio, 3.5 mm Audio Jack with Dual Microphones
- RAM : 4 GB
- ROM : 64 GB UFS
- Card Slot : microSD Card; Up to 256 GB
- Battery: 4000 mAh Li-ion Polymer (standby and general usage time TBA)
- Display 5.5″ Resolution QHD (2560 x 1440) LCD, 75 Hz
- Lens : 2 x Fresnel-Aspheric, 110° FOV
- WLAN : WiFi 802.11 ac/n 2×2 MIMO Dual Band
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth® 5.0 + BLE
What’s in the Box
- Lenovo Mirage Solo
- Daydream Wireless Motion Controller
- Travel Adapter
- USB Type-C™ Cable
- 3.5 mm Earphones
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card