Orbus Online, the indie studio behind OrbusVR, announced that their first expansion ‘Reborn’ now has an official street date. The studio also released word that users will be able to jump into the game on Quest “later this spring.”
OrbusVR is a made-for-VR MMORPG that launched into Early Access on Steam (Vive, Rift) and the Oculus Store (Rift) in December 2017. With the launch of OrbusVR: Reborn however, the game will officially be heading out of Early Access on April 23rd, 2019.
- Existing owners on Steam or Oculus Store will see a free update to their game available starting this evening.
- Non-owners will be able to purchase the game no later than one hour before launch.
- All existing characters will be imported, each with one chance to change the look of the character.
- If you previously had levels in the Fisher class, that has been converted to reputation for the appropriate activity.
- If you participated in the beta and earned either the Dev Slayer or Super Leveler: Reborn achievements, speak with the Backer Rewards Vendor to receive your achievements, titles, and/or capes.
- If you achieved the minimum 18,000 points during the Defend the Realm event in the original game, speak to the Backer Rewards vendor to get your cape, crown, and pet.
- Your quests and talent choices have been reset.
The developers also said that since the game’s early access launch in December 2017, 60,000 people have played the game, spanning more than 575,000 of game time.
As a virtual reality-native, OrbusVR delivers VR users many of the classic MMORPG conventions like multiplayer dungeon raids, world bosses, several combat classes, and missions across a large, open-world.
Set 20 years after the defeat of the Order, the ‘Reborn’ expansion is set to add a bevy of new classes, enemies, dungeons and raids; the art direction has also substantially changed, taking on a look ostensibly influenced by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
All existing owners will receive ‘Reborn’ for free, although if you were looking to get in before the eventual price hike, it appears both the Steam and Oculus Store versions are currently unavailable until launch later this month.
OrbusVR is set to be one of the first of many games to offer cross-buy through the Oculus Store, meaning if you already bought the game for Rift, you’ll be able to jump in for free on Quest (and vice versa). Thankfully the game is going to be offer cross-platform play between Rift, Quest, Vive, and other OpenVR headsets.
Currently the original game is no longer playable, until the launch of the expansion. The official launch of ‘Reborn’ is set for 10AM PT on April 23rd (local time here).