Having launched VR support for No Man’s Sky (2016) back in August, Hello Games is nearly ready to launch the latest update to the open-world sandbox game, which is slated to include a mess of community requested features and bug fixes for both VR and non-VR players.
Dubbed ‘Synthesis’, the update is slated to arrive tomorrow, November 28th, on all supported platforms including PSVR, SteamVR headsets, desktop, Xbox One, and PS4.
Hello Games’ studio head Sean Murray says in a PS blog post that while the list of changes is quite large in Synthesis, that the studio is working on something “even more impactful.” Just what that will be, we’re not sure.
Here’s a quick rundown of what’s new in Synthesis:
- VR Photo Mode: see an amazing vista in PS VR? Shoot it and share it.
- VR Creature Riding: saddle up on your favorite pet in full Virtual Reality.
- Starship Scrapping and Upgrading: trade in unwanted ships for valuable technologies or add inventory slots to your favourite starship, or spend nanites to upgrade its class.
- First Person Exocraft: now available to non-VR and VR players alike.
- Multiple Multi-Tools: added the ability for players to own more than one Multi-Tool. Purchased Multi-Tools will be added to the Quick Menu for easy swapping.
- Terrain Editor Enhancements: flatten or restore terrain at the press of a button.
- Personal Refiner: refine materials on the go, wherever you are.
- Multiple Outfits: save a range of custom outfits to quick change into.
- New Technologies: long-distance inventory management; mid-air jetpack recharging; emergency warping to flee from combat.
- New Base Parts: square is good, triangle is better!
- Starship Space Map Enhancements: improved quality and clarity of the visuals.
You can check out the full release notes here, which includes a comprehensive list addressing some VR specific bugs.
You’ll find No Man’s Sky on Steam (Vive, Index, Rift) and the PlayStation Store (PSVR). If you’re wondering whether or not to jump in, make sure to check out our deep dive review to find out why we gave it a [7.5/10].