Rockstar Games’ partial VR port of L.A. Noire (2011) was delayed last month to much chagrin. The game, which promises to deliver 7 of the original’s case files in all of their immersive glory, is now officially coming to HTC Vive December 15th.
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files was originally slated to launch alongside versions for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One—all set to release on November 14th. It wasn’t until Rockstar’s parent company Take-two Interactive published their quarterly earnings report last month that the classic noire title was given an indeterminate December launch date.
With a firm launch date now in sight, it’s still unclear whether Rockstar is necessarily locking the game to HTC Vive headsets, or if other SteamVR-compatible headsets like Oculus Rift or Windows VR headsets will be able to play as well. Advertisement for the VR title states an omnipresent ‘for HTC Vive’, so we’ll just have to wait and see closer to the launch date.
Pre-orders are now available on Steam for $30. Here’s a quick breakdown of the game’s features:
- Search for clues by grabbing, inspecting and manipulating objects
- Get behind the wheel and drive to your next crime scene
- Engage in chases, fistfights and shootouts as you track down suspects
- Build your case by making notes or drawing freehand in your detective’s notebook
- Interrogate witnesses and use your wits to separate truth from lies in a city where everyone has something to hide