Oculus today announced the winners of the Mobile VR Jam, a contest that saw some of the most innovative games and experiences targeted at the Gear VR platform.
Divided among two tracks—Games and Apps/Experiences—more than 300 entries made exclusively for the competition were vying for over $1 million in cash prizes. Whittled down to just 37 Games and 24 Apps/Experiences after the second round of judging, we were left with with bated breath as to who would take home the grand prize of $200,000.
But enough waffling! Without further ado, the 27 winners are…
Platinum Game ($200,000)
In SteamCrew VR, you and a friend cooperate to pilot a steampunk submarine through dangerous waters. Find someone in your community with a second Gear VR to join up on the same wifi network and be ready to holler “guns aimed”, “slow down, that’s a rock!”, and of course, “fire torpedo!” It’s a hilariously good time that highlights just how great VR can be when immersed in a new world with friends.
Check it out:
Platinum App or Experience ($100,000) and Community’s Choice App or Experience ($10,000)
The Night Cafe: An Immersive Tribute to Vincent van Gogh
Walk into a world that only van Gogh could have inspired. Exploring this space took our breath away (quite literally), and it truly defines what it means to enter a new incredible place that wouldn’t be possible without VR. Find a quiet moment to visit the Night Cafe, and be sure to stay for the surprise at the end.
Check it out:
Gold Games ($100,000)
Gold Apps or Experiences ($50,000)
Silver Games ($50,000)
- Scorched Battalion – Submission and Build
- Neuralgia VR – Submission and Build
- Panopticon – Submission and Build
- Bazaar – Submission and Build
Silver Apps or Experiences ($30,000)
Bronze Games ($10,000)
- Atop the Wizard’s Tower – Submission and Build
- Maiden Chaos VR – Submission and Build
- Audio Arena – Submission and Build
- PhaseShift – Submission and Build
- Captain Clark Adventures – Submission and Build
- Technolust: Thought Crimes – Submission and Build
- Polo – Submission, Build (VR/mouse), and Build (Phone/cat)
- Wendy – Submission and Build
- Blind Swordsman – Submission and Build
- Double Destruction – Submission, Build (VR), and Build (phone)
Bronce Apps or Experiences ($10,000)
- DMZ: Memories of No Man’s Land – Submission and Build
- NeoS: The Universe – Submission and Build
- House of Languages – Submission and Build
- Tana Pura – Submission and Build
Community’s Choice Game ($10,000)
Congratulations to the over 1,000 developers who participated in the Oculus Mobile VR Jam! The high level of polish on these games and experiences only speaks to the growing maturity of the mobile VR medium, and we’re proud to have played through as many as humanly possible. Although we would have liked to play through every submission, we did manage to get through a good number in our six part Mobile VR Jam series.
- Part 1: Technolust, SMS Racing, Colosse
- Part 2: NeoS The Universe, House of Languages, Inside the Human Body
- Part 3: Tactera, Crashland, DRIFT
- Part 4: Scorched Battalion, Pulsar Arena, Sherlock Holmes
- Part 5: Telescopic, Tana Pura, SoundScape
- Part 6: Phase Shift, The Night Cafe, Cityscape Repairman
Submissions will be downloadable via the Jam’s website indefinitely, or until individual developers want to remove them. So check out the winners and tell us what you think in the comments below!