The Rift-exclusive Rock Band VR is due to launch on March 23rd, with a game + guitar bundle priced at $70. The game takes a wildly different approach to musical gameplay than its predecessors, but also has a classic mode that fans will instantly recognize.
Announced way back in December, 2015, the much anticipated Rock Band VR is now due to ship on March 23rd, according to the official Harmonix blog. A bundle including a Rock Band Fender Stratocaster wireless guitar controller for Xbox One or PS4 and the game can be pre-ordered today for $70 via Amazon. Rock Band VR also requires Oculus Touch, which comes with an adapter to attach to and track the guitar in the game.
For those who already own their own guitars, Harmonix has confirmed to Road to VR that Rock Band VR will support all Rock Band 4 guitars. For the PS4 version, you’ll need bluetooth to be able to connect while the Xbox One version will connect to the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows (the same dongle that comes in the box with the Oculus Rift and connects the included gamepad). The Harmonix blog post also somewhat confusingly says the game is also compatible with “most other Rock Band controllers;” we’ve reached out to the developers for clarification.
Harmonix hasn’t announced Rock Band VR’s standalone price (if you BYOG), but our guess is $20 or $30, given that the Fender Stratocaster guitar peripheral runs about $42 alone.
Although the Rock Band games are known for gameplay that ranges across guitar, drums, bass, and keyboard, Rock Band VR only allows players to fill the guitar role.
Harmonix has revealed the first bits of the Rock Band VR setlist, which will include Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way”, “When You Were Young”by The Killers, and
“Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore. The company promises the following from the game:
• Performance Gameplay: Experiment with different chords, notes and strum speeds to develop your signature sound and make each song your own.
• Classic Mode: Demonstrate your technical prowess on the game’s Classic Mode, featuring the Rock Band note highway and scoring that you all know and love.
• Worldwide Leaderboards: Cement your rock god status by chaining together combos, earning stars and topping the global Rock Band VR leaderboards.
• High-energy Soundtrack: With more than 60 songs from legendary artists and up-and-coming acts, there’s truly something for everyone.
• Rock Band VR DLC: Rock Band VR will support its own catalog of DLC to accompany your rock experience. Stay tuned for more DLC details in March.