As reported previously, the virtual reality injection driver that lets you play your favourite games in virtual reality is now released. This update bring with it a host of technical enhancements, and a selection of newly supported games such as The Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat X and Star Wars classics Jedi Knight II and Knights of the Old Rebublic.
One of the most significant updates yet to VorpX, version 0.9, is now out and ready for download for existing customers. The new release is built on Oculus’ SDK 0.8 and takes advantage of important new features to enhance player experiences such as Direct Driver Mode and Asynchronous Timewarp. There’s also an entirely overhauled DX11 Geometry renderer which will in time bring more supported DX11 titles with it.
Away from the rendering tech however and the latest VorpX adds some innovative new features. You now have a dedicated Video Player Mode, allowing you to watch stereoscopic 3D movies with all of the above rendering tweaks with no fuss. The feature leverage’s popular open source media players VLC or MPC-HC so should be a user-friendly and familiar option to many.
Arbitrary resolution modes allow you to pick a resolution your PC supports and also to tweak aspect ratios for better FOV, whilst Crystal Image brings the rendered image much closer to that which you’d expect from a native Oculus Rift application or game.
In terms of playing the games, enhanced gamepad support has been almost completely re-written and now includes hot-plug support, multiple gamepads and the ability to override axes is in there.
If you already own VorpX, you should receive an automatic update, if not then why not support Road to VR and buy a copy right now? Check out our VorpX portal right here.
Full list of new and optimised game profiles are below:
- Mortal Combat X (G3D/Z3D), optimized for Virtual Cinema Mode
- The Witcher 3 (Z3D), optimized for Virtual Cinema Mode
- Crysis 3 now has full G3D
- Amnesia (G3D)
- Amnesia – A Machine for Pigs (G3D)
- Quake II (G3D)
- Quake III (G3D)
- American McGee’s Alice (G3D), optimized for Virtual Cinema Mode
- Star Wars – Knights of the Old Republic (G3D), optimized for Virtual Cinema Mode
- Star Wars – Jedi Knight II – Jedi Outcast (G3D)
- Star Trek Voyager – Elite Force (G3D)
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein  (G3D)
- Heavy Metal FAKK 2 (G3D), optimized for Virtual Cinema Mode