Walkabout Mini Golf (2020) consistently ranks among the top games on Quest for good reason. Now developers Mighty Coconut announced they’ve lined up the game’s first licensed DLC for release later this year which is set to bring the world of Jim Henson’s ’80s classic fantasy film LABYRINTH (1986) to life.

Mighty Coconut announced the studio has signed a deal with The Jim Henson Company to develop a 36-hole course based on LABYRINTH, which will be released in Summer 2022.

There’s no trailer out yet, but we’re hoping to see more than a few of our favorite characters. Granted, David Bowie has already been officially immortalized in VR, but never before as Jareth the Goblin King—glam metal hair and all.

The infectious, well-made mini golf game features loads of levels, and also the option to tack on more via themed DLC. The base game comes with eight 18-hole courses, all of which is playable in the optional ‘night mode’ for added difficulty. The studio has also released three paid DLC packs, all of which feature 36 holes: “Gardens of Babylon’, ‘Shangri-La’, and ‘Sweetopia’.

Image courtesy Mighty Coconut

Since it was released on Quest in 2020, Walkabout Mini Golf has consistently stayed in the top 20 Quest games by user rating. It’s one of those surprising little titles that not only looks like it belongs on a much more powerful headset, but is such a consistent and well-made experience that it actually feels like playing mini golf—not an easy task since golfing relies on good hand-eye coordination along with the sort of proprioception that you take for granted outside of VR.

SEE ALSO
Indie VR Gem 'COMPOUND' to Exit Steam Early Access "soon", Quest 2 Version to Follow

We’ll be keeping an eye out for trailers in the coming months—summer is only around four months away—so we’ll be tuned to Walkabout Mini Golf’s YouTube channel and Twitter in the meantime.

This article may contain affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and buy a product we may receive a small commission which helps support the publication. See here for more information.


  • JakeDunnegan

    I will say – this is a fun little game. They have a really cool interface, to where, instead of worrying about movement (unless you really want to); you start standing over the ball and then take your shot, and with one button press, you’re standing over the ball at the new spot, ready to take your next shot. It makes for a very fluid experience.

    You spend 90% of your time just having fun playing the game and the other 10% looking at all the cool courses and the environments. It also has a very nice multiplayer, even if you’re swapping headsets with someone in the room.

    I look forward to checking out the DLC!

  • Andrew Jakobs

    Man, would love to see a Labyrinth VR adventure game.

  • It’s a lovely little game which excels in many areas. Aside from purchasing the title including all DLC, I’ve purchased multiple Quest2 for family living overseas where we catch up at least a couple of nights per week in Walkabout, and for this, I thank the devs. In my use-case scenario, the game alone is selling headsets.

    At each update, there are many quality of life, ease of gameplay additions that make it fun and easy to just pick up your club and go and I’ve truly watched the title go from strength to strength.

    However, the thorn in my side is, the quality of gameplay in SteamVR with large FOV headsets like Index, G2 with facial interface, etc. The port from Quest 2 to SteamVR lets the title down with an immersion breaking 4-5px blue line on the outside parameter of lenses. Additionally, the game will flicker or glitch every 20 or 30 seconds like a big frame drop to reestablish positioning. The glitch can cause nausea, or is mildly uncomfortable even to those with VR legs going on years. This has been documented by multiple users and is not an end-user settings, res or processing issue.

    I truly wish the team would invest the time to resolve these issues with something like an in-game multi-res feature, and performance optimisation. I’ve attempted fix using OpenVR SDK and modification of the game files themselves, to no avail.

  • This looks cool